The Pellegrini Story
The Pellegrini Family traces its heritage in winemaking to the early 1900s when brothers Nello and Gino Pellegrini arrived in New York City from their native Tuscany. They soon made their way to the West Coast and in 1925 became Sonoma County grape merchants, shipping grapes throughout the U.S. for home winemaking. In 1933 after repeal of Prohibition, the brothers established the original Pellegrini Wine Company, shipping grapes from Sonoma County and producing quality wines for many of San Francisco's finest shops and restaurants.
Nello's son Vincent took over direction of the winery in the early 1950s, and expanded into wholesale distribution of imported and domestic wines and spirits.
In 1973, Vincent and his wife Ida purchased a 70-acre apple and plum orchard on West Olivet Road in Santa Rosa. They converted this prime Russian River Valley property to grape vines, and Vincent had the foresight to plant Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. In the late 70s, Robert Pellegrini named his first wine "Olivet Lane" Chardonnay, and the name took. Olivet Lane was one of the first Pinot Noir estates in the Russian River Valley, and over the years has been the grape source for many of the Valley's Pinot Noir luminaries, in addition to the family's own award-winning Olivet Lane Estate Chardonnay and Pinot Noir production.
In the mid 1980's, Vincent's children Robert, Richard and Jeanne decided to increase the family's vineyard holdings, and subsequently purchased the Cloverdale Ranch in the Alexander Valley of Sonoma County. Today, Cloverdale Ranch's 55 acres are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot vines, with the resulting production enjoying worldwide critical acclaim.
When Vincent Pellegrini passed away in 1989, Robert, Richard and Jeanne assumed leadership of the wine business, and decided to focus on producing estate-bottled artisan wines of the highest quality. As part of their commitment to the production of fine wine, in 2001 they built a state-of-the-art winemaking facility on the Olivet Lane Estate. With this addition, the family has been able to recruit a top winemaking team and produce estate-designated, consistently award-winning products.
In 2003, the eight children of Robert, Richard and Jeanne–the "eight cousins"–purchased a 12-acre parcel of old-clone Zinfandel alongside the Olivet Lane Estate, launching the fourth generation of the Pellegrini family into the wine business.
Together, the family continues to produce some of Sonoma County's finest wines, and is committed to continuing the legacy of distinction and quality, now and for future generations.