Authentic Greek Tzatziki
- 1 Large Cucumber
- 2 cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt (Stauss or Fage)
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tbsps 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (reserve one for serving)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsps minced fresh dill
1. Grate the cucumber and drain through a fine mesh sieve overnight in the fridge. (Or, If you are in a time crunch, you can press the grated cucumber through cheesecloth to remove excess liquid)
2. Combine the yogurt, garlic, oil, vinegar, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Once the extra liquid is removed, transfer the grated cucumber and fresh dill to the yogurt mixture and stir to combine. Add additional salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
4. Before serving, drizzle tzatziki with remaining olive oil Garnish with a single kalamata olive.
Chef Tip: It’s best to do steps 1 and 2 one day in advance, or 8 > hours in advance. This allows the yogurt & cucumber mixture to marinate, which will mellow out the garlic and help incorporate all the flavors.